Sunday, June 19, 2011

S'mores Crumb Bars

If you ask Jim he will attest to the fact that I have had a small s'mores addiction. This has been going on all summer and I think he's getting tired of it. Since I make dessert every Sunday to take to my sister-in-law's, I thought I'd give this one a try and see if it would finally satisfy the craving.

I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com and adapted it slightly as I went along.

3 c. of graham cracker crumbs (I crushed my own graham crackers to make crumbs. It took 1 2/3 packages of crackers)
3/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
1/3 c. sugar (I used a little more than 1/3 c.)
3 c. mini marshmallows (I used the whole bag)
2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate, since a Hershey bar is milk chocolate).

Preheat oven to 375*. Combine crumbs, sugar and butter. Press half (I only reserved 1/2 c.) into a greased 13x9 pan. Sprinkle with chips and marshmallows. Top with remaining crumbs and press down firmly. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press top with a spatula. Cool completely and cut into bars.

I was working with several different recipes, so I baked the graham cracker crust for about 8 minutes, then took it out and topped it with the chips, etc. and baked it for another 10 minutes. We haven't cut them yet, but I'll let you know how they turn out.

Edit: The crust was a little crumbly, but they tasted awesome. I think maybe a little more butter to hold it together would do the trick.

1 comment:

Aunt Linda said...

Sounds yummy! I will try it soon.