Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nugget's Story - Egg Transfer

On September 4, 2012, we went to the main office for Shady Grove in Rockville.  The fourth floor of their office there is the embryology lab and the surgery center and that is where they do all the egg retrievals and transfers.  I have been to the fourth floor before three times, but this was the first time I had been there for something good.

After waiting around for what felt like forever with a full bladder, we were called back for transfer.  We both got booties for our feet and I got undressed from the waist down.  I did wear a pair of lucky socks that a Nestie sent me for a secret pal gift.

Our doctor came in and talked to us about how many embryos to transfer back.  He recommended transferring two, and even though we were afraid of the possibility of twins, we went with his recommendation.  He then went to the lab to see if our babies were ready to go.

The room where the transfer was done had a monitor so we could see our two embryos on the screen before they were transferred to a catheter, which the embryologist brought to our doctor.  Then we could watch as the catheter was introduced and the embryos were transferred.  On the monitor, it looked like a little fireworks explosion as they came out of the catheter.

Our doctor told us that I should lay there for ten minutes or as long as my bladder would hold out and then we could go home, where I would spend 24 hours on couch rest.  That was it.  We were done and all we could do now was wait. 

Nugget's First Picture

No comments: