Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pi(e) Day!

Today is Pi(e) Day. Get it? March 14th. 3/14. 3.14. Math joke. I'm a nerd and I know it. I embraced my dorkiness a long time ago.

Anyway, after all kinds of pie talk on Facebook today, I decided to make a pie when I got home. This is a basic blueberry pie right from the Betty Crocker cookbook. Every summer when blueberries go on sale, I buy a ridiculous amount and freeze them in 2 cup bags so I can have them all year long. This used up almost all the blueberries in the freezer, but it was so worth it.

Honestly, I've made dozens of pies over the last 20 or 25 years and I still am incapable of crimping the edges and having it look right.

That said, no matter how wonky the pie comes out looking, it always tastes fantastic!

Blueberry Pie

Pastry for a two-crust 9" pie
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, if desired
6 cups blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter or margarine

Heat oven to 425°F. With floured rolling pin, roll one round of pie dough into round 2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.

In large bowl, mix sugar, 1/2 cup flour and the cinnamon. Stir in blueberries. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle any remaining sugar mixture over blueberry mixture. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over blueberries. Cover with top pastry that has slits cut in it; seal and flute. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning.

Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust, removing foil for last 15 minutes of baking. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I would eat 3.14 slices of that. The point one four would be three berries that leaked out when I took the third piece.