Thursday, July 24, 2008

If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere...

I know you think that I forgot to blog about our final day in New York, but I actually had to do 'real work' yesterday.

Sunday didn't go exactly according to plan. We did get up, get checked out of the hotel (leaving our luggage with the concierge) and get breakfast. Then we took a taxi up to Central Park. The plan was to walk around for about an hour, then go to the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum. It is a part of the Smithsonian, but it is not free like the museums in Washington, which is a bummer.

We did have a very nice, if sweaty, walk through the Park. We saw tons of people with their dogs, the statue of Alice in Wonderland, Cleopatra's Needle, the Great Lawn and the Reservoir. We were wandering from 72nd up to 91st. There was also a triathlon finishing up the run in the park, so we stopped to cheer people on for a few minutes, too.

When we got to the museum, it was not open yet. This was my fault. I misread the days - I thought it opened at 10:00, which is did Monday - Saturday, but Sunday was noon. I really wanted to see this museum and have for a long time, so we walked a few blocks over to a Starbucks to get something to drink, cool off and wait.

After about a hour, we went back to the museum, which was now open, BUT most of it was closed for rennvations. This was NOT my fault - I double checked the website and nowhere does it say that it is undergoing renovations. If I had known that, I would have elected to take a pass on the whole thing and go to the American Museum of Natural History. At least they were doing 'pay what you want' admissions, since it was mostly closed.

However, by this time it was too late to get all the way across the park and have anytime to see the dinosaurs, so we walked a couple of blocks to the Guggenheim Museum and spent an hour or so there looking a really odd art. Then we taxied back to the hotel for the luggage and down to Penn Station to get the bus back to D.C.

While we were waiting for the bus, I did the last thing left on my list of stuff to do in NYC. I ate a chicken gyro from a guy with a cart and it was really good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Jim had a really fun time. So glad you were able to go to the Big Apple. Mom